Copyright (c) 2009 Linda Daline Limbaugh
Do you see me?
What have you seen? What have you experienced? What wisdom have you garnered over the years? How many years does it take? Will you be my friend? Can I hold your branch? Will you give me refuge? Can I just climb like I did as a child - a free, open, awe-inspired, curious child investigator. Can I give you all my conclusions? I don't want them anymore.
Can you teach me how to sway and bend without breaking? How to be graceful: intricate leaf arrangements, delicate patterns, yet trunk strong as steel. Where do you place your roots? How did you know where to put them? How did you get what you needed? How many others like me have you comforted?
Heat rises from the ground and you don't hold on. Wind moves and you don't try to catch it. Rain falls and it quenches your thirst - you don't drown.
(ten minute timed writing assignment at Kerrville Folk Festival Songwriting School 2009)
No comments:
Post a Comment