Saturday, January 31, 2009

West Coast Local



While in Hillsboro, after my shopping spree at Five Star Guitars, I went in search of a local dinner.  At Trader Joe's, all I could find was an apple and some bread.  The staff at Whole Foods Market, including Jeremy at the cheese counter, was very helpful and I purchased chicken from Northwest Farms, a Portland hot sauce (Secret Aardvark) and a really great local beer called Lompoc.  Dinner was great!  The next morning, I went back for travel food and had a long talk with Noah who clarified that 'bulk commodity' could mean local - please ask questions!  I am traveling with baked apple and pear chips, hazelnuts and Grizzlie's granola.

While traveling south, I decided to stop in Corning, CA so I could stock up on local olive oil.  While there, I remembered that the tread on my right front tire was wearing thin so I took advantage of supporting a small town local business.  The guys at Bob's Tire Center were great!!! Thanks Danny and crew!





At the Olive Pit, I spoke to Eva whom I had met in the fall and Aricella and walked out with local olive oil, vinegar, oranges, fig bars, apricots, and almonds.  I'm set!!


Thanks, Eva!
Y'all stop by when you can especially in November for the fresh off the press seasonal olive oil!!!


Admiring local fields.  Wish I had time to stop by and chat with the people growing our food all across the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment