Friday, February 6, 2009

Sunrise to Sunset: wheat fields and oil derricks

After my run, I did some laundry, updated my blog, completed some online business and then Lisa walks in from work.  If I left then, I would have hit terrible traffic...so I stayed another night.  We went to Sunflower Farmers Market (a grocery store)  where I had never been before.  Lisa made tempeh tacos, I made a vegan chocolate cake with agave syrup instead of sugar.  Not local at all anything in it:(  Then we watched a chic flick.
Local goods for the road from Sunflower:  Cottage cheese distributed from Robinson Dairy in Denver (need more data), Haystack Mountain goat cheese from Longmont, CO (applewood smoked - some of the best goat cheese I've had ever!) and Wheat crackers from Fort Collins called Nita Crisps .  The package was labeled and hand packed by workers with developmental disabilities who produce quality work for local businesses!
I left Denver at 5:50 am.  Haven't been up before the sun in awhile.  It was nice.
Hello sunshine!!
Wheat fields and oil derricks all over Kansas
"So, I heard that Colorado passed legislation banning round haystacks."
"Oh yeah?  Why?"
"Because the cows couldn't get a square meal."
Wind power!!!
Oklahoma state restaurant/market with local products.  Not sure about the conditions of the animals so I didn't buy anything and their jams had high fructose corn syrup:(
The sun and I spent the whole day together!!!  Uh... yeah...think it's time to stop driving now - fourteen hours!!!
Couldn't resist the hotel lobby make-your-own Texas waffle setup!  The wheat could have grown down the highway...

1 comment: